How to Count number of issues by Estimated Hours over time

I would like to have a count of the number of issues (stories, tasks) that did not have Original Estimated entered. I understand eazyBI may not keep track of the history of this field and probably should use Remaining Estimated measures such as “Remaining estimated hours”, “Remaining estimated hours change”, or “Remaining estimated hours history”.

However, I am not able to get the count of the number of issues. For example

NonZero(Count(
   Filter(
      PreviousPeriods([Time].CurrentHierarchyMember),
      ([Measures].[Remaining estimated hours history] = 0
      OR
      IsEmpty([Measures].[Remaining estimated hours history])
      )
   )
))

I tried using one condition or multiple ones, various combination of the Remaining estimated hours measures. None of the formula gives me the correct count so far (I checked against the actual count by hand in JIRA).

Please kindly help give me some guidance what I have done wrong.

thanks in advance.

Hi,

You are right; the standard data model of eazyBI does not provide the historical values of the Original Estimate. We had similar requests from our customers, so the request is in our backlog.

There still seem to be some options for the partial solution of this case in eazyBI for Jira Server, and a complete solution in eazyBI for Jira Cloud.

First about the Jira Server. Your idea of using the “Remaining estimated hours history” seems to be somehow useful. It is possible to check that issue has empty Remaining estimated hours on the day when the issue is created:

([Measures].[Remaining estimated hours history],
 [Time].[Day].Datemember([Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.GetDate("Created at")))

Note, however, that it is possible to manipulate the remaining estimate when reporting the hours. If the remaining estimate is updated on the same day of when the issue is created, the formula provided will show value even if the Original estimate is still empty. Another restriction is that this formula checks the result on the day level. That means, f the issue is created without any estimate, and the estimate is updated later that day the formula will not see that.

If those restrictions are not a problem, the count would be the following (note that you need to iterate over the Issue dimension to count the Issues matching the condition):

NonZero(Count(
  Filter(Descendants([Issue].CurrentMember,[Issue].[Issue]),
  IsEmpty(([Measures].[Remaining estimated hours history],
           [Time].[Day].Datemember([Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.GetDate("Created at"))
     )
  )
)))

This solution should also work in eazyBI for Jira Cloud. The cloud version can be elaborated in more details since we can access the history there and use the Javascript calculated custom field to check the time when exactly the Original estimated hours are entered.

Kindly,