Issue Hierarchy based on Issue field

Hi,

I am currently evaluating eazyBI for Jira (Servicedesk) and by this fairly new to eazyBI. I have seen different articels related to hierarchies, which all involve links between the issues itself.

My challenge is the following - I have multiple different issue types and within one issue type I have a custom field in Jira, which categorizes this issue further - like the following:

• ITEM-1 (Issue Type: A, Category: Cat 5)
  • ITEM-2 (Issue Type: A, Category: Cat 6)
  • ITEM-3 (Issue Type: B)
  • ITEM-4 (Issue Type: A, Category: Cat 5)

I would like to have an operation similar to an SQL “GROUP BY Category”. I assume that a hierarchy is the right way to go for (so that the first level is the Issue Type, second level is category and third level would be the issues), but I am unsure about how to create the right hierarchy settings within the Advanced Settings section and how to reference the existing field in the issue correctly.

Can you give me an example for this challenge?

Thanks.

Hi,

There might be two ways to go with your use case

1. The first, and, perhaps the most recommended (definitely the simplest) solution is to create the dimension from the Category custom field and combine all the three dimensions in the report rows. After you remove the “(none)” member of the Category dimension, the report could look like this, which does the proper grouping of the issues in the hierarchical view:

2. You can also create your own JS custom field dimension of multiple levels in the pattern described here. I tried my case with the following settings:

[jira.customfield_my_hierarchy_field]
    name = “Hierarchical field”
    data_type = “string”
    dimension = true
    levels = [“Type”, “Categry”,“Issue”]
    split_by = “|”
    javascript_code=’’’
    if (issue.fields.customfield_NNNNN) {
    issue.fields.customfield_my_hierarchy_field=
    issue.fields.issuetype.name+"|"+
    issue.fields.customfield_NNNNN.value+"|"+
    issue.key+" "+ issue.fields.summary;
    }
    ‘’’

Note that this code is for the case if the “Category” field is a single choice custom field (replace the NNNNN with the id of the category field in Jira). That would allow creating the following report:

Kindly,

Janis, eazyBI support

I want to do something similar to your second suggestion, except the field contains multiple values (i.e. it is a list of multi-level dimension values). Is there a way to accomplish this?