Story points completed for unique issues without particular components

Context: I am trying to create a bar chart report that shows the story points completed per component per month. Something like this:

I have the Time dimension under both pages and rows. Then in the columns, I have the measure for story points completed and the Project dimension with particular components selected.

In this particular project, there are a couple of “overarching” components and a number of smaller components that conceptually belong to the larger ones. (Long story.) So … something like this:

• Component A
    ** Component 1
    ** Component 2
    ** Component 3
  • Component B
    ** Component 4
    ** Component 5
  • Component C

It’s possible for an issue to have just an overarching component (i.e., A or B or C). Any issue that has a smaller component will also have the overarching component assigned (A and 1, for example). It’s also possible that an issue will have an overarching component and multiple smaller components assigned (A and 1 and 3).

For this particular chart, I would like to be able to show the following

• Each of the smaller components (1, 2, 3, 4, 5) – I’ve generally got that via the Project dimension; there is some duplication when an issue is assigned multiple components
  • A only (i.e., only issues that are assigned to Component A without 1, 2, or 3)
  • B only (i.e., only issues that are assigned to Component B without 4 or 5)
  • C only – I’ve got that via the Project dimension

If I select just A, I get a good deal of duplication with 1, 2, and 3.

I tried creating a calculated member by starting with the entire project and then subtracting all of the small components – but I end up with negative numbers because some issues have more than one small component assigned.

Because I’m working with story points, I don’t see an existing unique count.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

Hi @viviane,

One way of displaying Components separately from the Project dimension is by importing it via a JavaScript calculated custom field. The eazyBI documentation page has that covered here - https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/data-import/custom-fields/javascript-calculated-custom-fields#JavaScriptcalculatedcustomfields-Component.

That would define a new Component custom field and enable the import of it as a dimension with multiple values. See the picture below:

From the requirement, it seems you don’t want to have the multiple values enabled. You can try to alter the parameters in the eazyBI advanced settings by removing multiple_values = true and split_by = ",". See the parameters below:

[jira.customfield_eazybicomponent2]
name = "Component 2"
data_type = "string"
dimension = true
javascript_code = '''
  issue.fields.customfield_eazybicomponent = issue.fields.components;
'''

The report then could look similar to the one below:

You can identify the number of issues or Story Points for issues with multiple Component combinations and single Component.

From both pictures above, you can see that in total, 65 issues have the Component “Android”. 56 of those issues have only that Component. The rest have other Components as well as “Android”.

That could help you in defining the report you try to create. Please look at the eazyBI documentation page for more information on JavaScript calculated custom fields - https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/data-import/custom-fields/javascript-calculated-custom-fields. Also, the documentation page on the eazyBI advanced settings could come in handy - https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/data-import/custom-fields/advanced-settings-for-custom-fields.

Best,
Roberts // support@eazybi.com