AffectsVersion not working properly?

Greetings,

I have seen in eazyBI that I can use the FixVersion field and it returns the correct results. It also does a nice job of aggregating information through the hierarchy. I can’t seem to get the same thing to work with AffectsVersion however and I’m not sure if there are limitations with that field and how to solve my problems. Here’s the scenario:

I have tagged a subset of the total Initiatives in my project with a value that represents a customer project = “Storepick 1.0”. When I remove Affects version, the report total matches the JQL total of 408 records (see screenshots). When I apply the AffectsVersion with all AffectsVersions, it still works correctly. However, when I filter on my Storepick 1.0 value, the JQL filter returns the right number of records but on the report side it returns nothing. I cannot figure out why.

The only thing I can think of is that for some reason the JQL in our instance is displaying ‘Affected Version’ vs ‘AffectsVersion’, but then why is the JQL filter query returning the correct results when the eazyBI report is not?

Please see the screenshots I have attached.

2022-08-11_11h53_26
2022-08-11_11h58_25

2022-08-11_12h08_16

Can you help me with this?
Thanks!
Drew

Hi Guys,

OK - I got this first part to work by drilling into the AffectsVersion and selecting the ‘Storepick 1.0’ option. This works fine now when I want to look at only Initiatives. However, I’m back to the same problem I articulated in previous posts. I want to see a sum of all Epics and then Stories and Tasks (not sub-tasks) that are linked under Initiatives which have an AffectsVersion = Storepick 1.0

I am not filling the AffectsVersion value on the issue types below the Initiative. I am expecting that the Epic link and Parent link will do all of that stitching for me. I can accomplish this in JQL pretty easily with nested queries. But I cannot solve this in eazyBI! In a previous post, I was told that this works automatically for FixVersion but when trying to do this based on a Jira custom field, I would need to add some eazyBI custom fields to string this together. That’s fine. But what about AffectsVersion? Does the tool do this automatically like with FixVersion? Here’s how I’m solving this in JQL directly:

Filter 116739:
project = WPLAT AND affectedVersion = “Storepick 1.0” AND type = Initiative AND (resolution not in (Rejected, “Closed without action”, “Won’t Do”, Duplicate) OR resolution is EMPTY) AND issueFunction in aggregateExpression(OriginalSP, “OriginalStoryPoints.sum()”)

Filter 116740:
project = WPLAT AND issuetype = Epic AND issueFunction in portfolioChildrenOf(“filter = 116739”)

Filter 116741:
project = WPLAT AND issuetype in (story, task) AND issueFunction in issuesInEpics(“filter = 116740”) AND issueFunction in aggregateExpression(TotalSP, “storyPoints.sum()”)

I have to build this view in eazyBI for easy viewing and so that it’s easily actionable.
Hopefully I am explaining this in a way that it makes sense.

Is it possible?

Thanks,
Drew

Hi @drewwiseman

When you add a dimension to Pages, the Page filter by default is applied to all issues (regardless of the hierarchy).
So, if the Affects version (or Fix version) is filled only for initiatives, then, without additional processing, only initiative issues will be counted.

For some standard dimensions, you can import Issue link field dimension where you can specify by what issue level value you want to filter data (e.g. Epic Fix version or Initiative Status). However, it is not currently possible for Affects version dimension.

For Affects version, you may want to create a calculated measure (in Measures). It would iterate through the Issue hierarchy with Initiatives, looking for initiatives with the selected Affects version, and then counts story points (or any other measures) from all its children with the selected issue type (or other filter conditions), regardless of their version.
The calculation might be the following (please, use correct Issue hierarchy name and level in the calculation!; I used Advanced Roadmap hierarchy)

--annotations.disable_drill_through=true
NonZero(SUM(
--set of initiatives with the selected Affects version
     Filter(
       Descendants([Issue.Advanced Roadmaps].CurrentHierarchyMember,[Issue.Advanced Roadmaps].[Initiative]),
       DefaultContext(
       ([Measures].[Issues created],
        [Issue.Advanced Roadmaps].CurrentHierarchyMember,
        [Affects Version].CurrentHierarchyMember)) > 0),
--sum of story points from all issues of the initiative regarding page filters, except Version
    ([Measures].[Story Points created],
    [Affects version].CurrentHierarchy.DefaultMember)
 ))

Now, only Affect version dimension will filter only Initiative level, other filter will be applied to all issues.

As this measure operates with custom hierarchy, drill through option is disabled. Use Drill across > Issues > [needed hierarchy level member] option instead (unselect Hide empty to show all the children’s issues - they won’t have a value as value is calculated for Initiative level).

Best,
Ilze, support@eazybi.com

Thank you Ilze for your thorough response. I will try this out and let you know how it goes.

Cheers,
Drew

Ilze,

I did some basic testing with this and it is not working properly. Maybe I’m not understanding what other dimensions need to be in place but when I apply the calculated measure, it returns a random list of issues across issue types with associated points. None of it matches my JQL queries. I tried playing with the issue type dimension to only return Initiatives and I’m not having any luck. I also tried the suggested calculated measure from the related ticket and it’s not giving me meaningful results either.
I am using the Advanced Roadmaps hierarchy just as you outlined in the measure so we should have alignment there.

I’m really confused on why this doesn’t work and why this request is so difficult to solve.
What’s next?

Drew