Calculate rolling average for Story Points booked to future dates

Thanks in advance for any help!

My issue is that I want to calculate a rolling average for future dates.

At present we use eazyBI to measure team capacity commitments. This involves calculating an individual’s story points with due date and simply dividing it by the story point budget for the time period (we don’t work in sprints). Which is fine, as I have the time measurements rolling to the next 7 days or 14 days etc.

However, the big downside of the calculation above is that it tells us this person is at 98% capacity as of now, but doesn’t tell us when they’re next going to be under a threshold (let’s say 80%) for a rolling 7-day average and hence could take on more work. Ideally I could build a table similar to the above, but which reports for each day in the future what the 7 days after that looks like for capacity, and hence I could see the next date they would be free to work on a new issue.

I think conceptually this should be possible, I just can’t wrap my head around it, despite the excellent examples of rolling averages in the past found here.

Thanks!

Hi @jared.barnes!

There is no option to specify a dynamic hierarchy that would group a certain number of days from the current date. However, it is possible to aggregate the days in the future by creating each of those aggregates. Here is an example of two of those:

And here is the formula for the “between 7 and 14 days from now”:

Aggregate(
  [Time].[Day].DateMembersBetween('6 days from now', '13 days from now')
)

Please note that days will only show if they are created in the Time dimension, and by default, eazyBI is adding members to the Time dimension only if there is some activity on that date. Future dates often are not added as the only action that usually is in the future is the Issue due dates or Sprint end date. You can add members to the Time dimension manually see details here.

Lauma / support@eazybi.com

1 Like

Thanks so much for the response, Lauma. I’ll play around with that and see what other options I have. Appreciate you having a look!

1 Like