Calculating Committed, Completed and % Story Points with Custom Story Point Field

Hi there -

Our Jira instance currently uses a custom field “Story Points (Custom)” as our estimation measure on our Jira issues.

I’m trying to create some simple reports to display:

• Sprint Story Points (Custom) committed

• Sprint Story Points (Custom) completed

I see that Sprint Story Points committed & Story Points completed & Sprint Story Points at Closing reference “Story Points added”, so I believe I should be creating a new custom metric for “Story Points (Custom) added”, but I am uncertain of how to do this. From there I believe I can use the Story Points (Custom) added to recreate the other formulas, but I am confused as to how to replicate “Story points added” for my Story Points (Custom) field.

Is there MDX you can share for Story Points Added that I can modify to reference our Story Points (Custom) field? I am unable to find any references to that in the documentation.

Your help is greatly appreciated!! Thank you

Formula references below:
[Measures].[Sprint Story Points committed] =
( [Measures].[Story Points added],
[Transition Field].[Sprint status],
[Sprint Status].[Active],
– An issue was in a sprint at a sprint start time
[Issue Sprint Status Change].[Future => Active]
)

[Measures].[Sprint Story Points completed] =
(
[Measures].[Sprint Story Points at closing],
[Transition Status.Category].[Done]
)

@oskars.laganovskis, @zane.baranovska- any suggestions?
Thank you so much!

Hi @JK22,

​When importing custom field change history, several “hidden” measures are created in the background. One of them is " <custom field name> added".
​You might read more about them here - Import issue change history.

​Therefore, if you have imported the change history for your field “Story Points (Custom)”, you can recreate the same calculations with your custom field.
If you start writing the name of the measure - the auto-complete will offer the available options, including the “hidden” measures.

An even easier option is to export the report definition from the Demo account and open it in your favorite text editor app to replace the “Story points” in the names of original measures with the relevant custom field name.

​Regards,
​Oskars / support@eazyBI.com

1 Like

Thank you. I will give it a try Oskars!