Can we find out when and who used to edit a specific field and show in report?

Hi EazyBI Team,

We have a new report demand that finds out when and who used to edit a specific field monthly for auditing purpose.

For example, a field’s name is “Approval Required”, and the goal is to have a report that shows record when the value of this field was changed from “Yes” to “No”, and also the elements below will also be in the report.
a) Issue Key
b) Who did it
c) When did it

Try to explain it in a simple table below.

[Page: Time]

| Execution Time | Issue Key | Executor |
| 2018-11-01 11:00:00 | AA-1000 | User A |
| 2018-11-01 19:00:00 | AA-1234 | User B |
| 2018-11-02 15:00:00 | AA-1000 | User C | (a ticket might hit the rule multiple times.)

I couldn’t find any article or instruction that teaches how to retrieve the “Execution Time” and “Executor”.
Is it something EazyBI is capable to achieve?

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

Hi,

First of all, the approach I describe works only for *single-select Jira custom fields.

In order to import changes for a custom field, please add following lines to your eazyBI advanced settings (use your custom field ID instead of NNNNN)

Next, edit your import options and make sure that you select issue change history and changes for your custom field to be imported.

After that, you could select measure “Issues history” from “Measures” dimension and filter your report by this column to see only issues with respective change.
Then, you could remove this measure from displayed columns.

Next, you could create a new calculated member in “Measures” dimension to find when was the last time the custom field value was changed for each issue.
Try this code:

TimestampToDate((
[Measures].[Transition to last timestamp],
[Transition Field].[Approval Required]
))

Finally,
To see the Issue key without summary, you could change the “Issue” dimension display name and finally use “Transition Author” dimension to see who made that change.

See report example attached:

Martins / eazyBI support

3 Likes

First of all, the approach I describe works only for *single-select Jira custom fields.

Hey @martins.vanags, does this mean that single-select custom fields are the only data source you can do this with?

I’ve got a numeric field that I want to do this with too.

Hi,

For numeric fields there is a different way how eazyBI imports changes.

When you select to import numeric custom field with value changes, there would be a new measure " history" which would represent the value of a numeric field a the end of displayed time member.

But transition-related measures would not work with numeric fields as in the example above.

For that case, you would need to use a Javascript calculated custom field (defined via advanced settings).

Martins / eazyBI team

Hi, Martin. Fantastic solution. I’d like to ask something. Is it possible to grab some other information about the history with the advanced settings configuration?

For example, I’d like to get the author that made the change to a field. And also its role in project.

Hi @Raphael_Teodoro_Silv

It depends on the field.
eazybi can import changes for some default fields (Status, assignee, priority, issue type) but not for all fields. You can also define the change history import for other Jira custom fields, but they must be defined with data_type = “string” and they should be single-select fields (only one value per issue).
Then you could use a Javascript to find the author who did the change and return it.

But it won’t be possible to import changes for labels.
Please find Javascript examples to understand the concept on how to use a scripted fields to retrieve the changes from the imported issue changelog.
https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/data-import/custom-fields/javascript-calculated-custom-fields

Martins / eazyBI team

1 Like