Create report on how long a Jira issue resides in a custom field group

Hello there!

I’m trying to solve a problem where I need to report the total time Jira issues spend in certain “groups” until they are resolved. The different groups are pre-defined in a custom field; let’s call it “Resolver Group”. There’s a very limited amount of groups each issue can be in, and an issue can only be in a single group at any given time. I’m quite new to EazyBI and MDX, so my question is:

Is there any recommended way to tackle this problem?

So far, I’ve been creating calculated custom fields using JavaScript, where I go through each issue’s change history and look for any changes to the particular field I’m interested in. It’s quite simple calculations, but I’m not sure I’m taking the best path with this.

eazyBI calculates time spent per some transition for statues only based on issue changelog entries.

There might be some MDX calculations you could try. However, they will be far too complex and could lead to serious performance problems as well. The suggested solution is using JavaScript custom field for this. We have an example Days for assignee in our documentation you can check out. It might be used as inspiration.

Please take into account, data structure on how Jira and eazyBI stores and tracks values for Assignee and Custom fields differs.
Here are some points you may want to check:
History entries contain to/from and toString/fromString values. Please use string representation for Custom fields, and to/from for assignee.
History entries reference custom field by case sensitive name. Assignee (other default fields) should be addressed in lower case. Please check how custom field current value is stored as well - data structures could vary by custom field type.

Daina / support@eazybi.com