Custom Field Name and Parent Link Name

hello, we have a report that is displaying time on our epics. within this report we would link to display the parent link (initiative) name and a custom field (contact) name.

1. Initiative Name

When i use the built in ‘issue portfolio initiative’ it displays the correct key, but i would like to display the name instead. i’ve tried to use [Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.get(‘Initiative Name’) or [Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.get(‘Portfolio Initiative Name’) but am getting no results.

1. Contact (Custom FIeld)

On the Initiative, we have a custom field “Contact”. How would I display that value on the parent (Initiative) that is linked to the Epic?

Hi,

The recommended approach for this case is to access the initiative from epic using the GetMemberByKey function. Another function GetCaption is needed to have the full name of the Issue

The following formula gives the name of the initiative at the Epic level:

[Issue].[Issue].GetMemberByKey(
  [Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.get('Portfolio Initiative')  
).GetCaption

Another, a bit shorter solution might work, but the result, in this case, is not limited to Epic Initiative level (it will show the parent name for each level):

[Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.Parent.GetCaption

You can also apply pattern matching to extract only summary part of the parent issue caption:

ExtractString(
[Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.Parent.GetCaption,
".+-\d+ (.*)",1)

Access to the parent’s property would be:

[Issue].[Issue].GetMemberByKey(
      [Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.get('Portfolio Initiative')  
    ).Get('Some property')

Kindly,
Janis eazyBI support

Fantastic, works perfectly. Thank you very much Janis.

Hello, I used your example to get a property of a parent, but the property is ‘Status_id’. How can I get the status name of the parent? I can’t find it as a property. Thank you!

Later edit: I actually found this page and managed to display the member name: GetMemberNameByKey

1 Like