Formatting lost when using "hide empty" feature

Dear eazyBI team,

recently, we started using formatting in table reports quite heavily. Unfortunately, we came across the situation, that the formatting is lost if a column is hidden due to the “hide empty columns” feature.
Here’s how to reproduce it:

• set a formatting for a column in a table report → formatting works and is displayed
  • set “hide empty columns”
  • modify the data, so that the column with the formatting is not shown anymore
  • modify the data again, so that the column that previously had formatting is shown again → formatting does not work/is not displayed anymore

Any chance to fix this, or am I doing anything wrong?

Best regards,
Jan

Hi @JanHeg,

When you define new formatting criteria, eazyBI saves the formatting to the specified field or field combination. If that field is removed or the field combination is split up, then the formatting does not meet the criteria, and the cell is not colored any more.

It is not clear to me what you mean by:

• modify the data, so that the column with the formatting is not shown anymore
  • modify the data again, so that the column that previously had formatting is shown again → formatting does not work/is not displayed anymore.

Could you share screenshots before and after to illustrate those modifications?

Best,
Zane / support@eazyBI.com

Dear @zane.baranovska ,

Ok, I guess that the use case we have is not covered then. I don’t have screen shots now, but maybe can describe it by just building poor mans tables here.

Situation 1:
||issue||measure 1||measure 2||
|ABC-1|1 (formatted bold and red)|2 (formatted bold and green)|
|ABC-2||1 (formatted bold and red)|

Situation 2 (measure 1 is now also empty for ABC-1, and hide empty columns is selected → column for measure 1 is not shown anymore, formatting is kept in the column for measure 2):
||issue||measure 2||
|ABC-1|2 (formatted bold and green)|
|ABC-2|1 (formatted bold and red)|

Situation 3 (measure 1 is now 1 again for ABC-1 → column is shown again, but the formatting is not done as in situation 1):
||issue||measure 1||measure 2||
|ABC-1|1 (not formatted)|2 (formatted bold and green)|
|ABC-2| |1 (formatted bold and red)|

Was this understandable?

Best regards,
Jan

Dear @zane.baranovska,

Any ideas here?

Best regards,
Jan

Dear @zane.baranovska,
any possibility to look into my answer from Nov 2021, even though it does not contain screen shots?

By description, I can not reconstruct the report and the use case without knowing the report context (selected measures and dimensions on report columns and rows) and the formatting rules.
Please, share the report definition: Export and import report definitions. The report definition contains information on how it is built but does not contain the data (measure values).

Dear @zane.baranovska,

ok, got it.

Please find below screenshot “report” which shows the issue. The column marked with the red arrow had data in it at one point in time, and at that point in time we configured the formatting like shown in “formatting config example”.
Then, there was no data in it, please also see “code of measure” for reference below. What we wanted to achieve here is to get empty cells whenever there’s “just” a zero in it. Additionally, “Hide empty rows and columns” was selected, so the column was hidden after no data was in it anymore.
Now that there’s data in it again (i.e. issues have values <> 0 for the measure), the column is shown again, but it lost its formatting config.

I assume two things now:

1. the code of the measure maybe is not optimal, I guess there is some other possibility to achieve empty cells whenever there’s a 0 in the measure
  2. what we are observing is the normal behavior of formatting configs.

Does that help to understand the issue? Any idea what we may change to persist the formatting config across the hidden-unhidden cycles of columns?

formatting config example

code of measure

CASE WHEN [Measures].[Issue BuildPdf fatal errors (eazyBI calculated)] <> 0
THEN [Measures].[Issue BuildPdf fatal errors (eazyBI calculated)]
END