Group issues by parent custom field value

Hi

In Jira we have a “Initiative” → “Epics” → “Bug” | “Story” → “Subtask” hierarchy across multiple projects. We have a custom component on all views called “Work Category” where we have a single select custom field “Small Change, Sustainability, Big Ticket, Experiments” etc they are used to gather insights into where teams spend most of their effort.

I have imported the custom field Work Category into eazybi and can see it as a dimension however not all tickets have a value selected. In this case I want to inherit the value from the parent instead. How can I achieve this?

e.g.

if “Work Category” is empty
then “Work Category” = parent[“Work Category”]

Yes, you are correct. eazyBI by default allows analyzing data if the issues themselves have specific field values. We support extending this and inheriting values from a specific level of the hierarchy during import as well. However, the solution will set the parent’s values on children no matter if a child has a value in the field or not.

You can consider using some scripted fields in Jira with more extended and complicated rules to inherit values from parent issues.

In eazyBI you can use some MDX formulas. The simplest option would be asking for parent field value if the issue does not have one on the report with a list of issues in within a specific hierarchy:
CoalesceEmpty(
[Issue.].CurrentMember.get(‘Work Category’),
[Issue.].CurrentMember.Parent.Get(‘Work Category’)
)

You would like to set your hierarchy name instead of in the formula and check the spelling (case sensitive) for Work Category.

The formula above will have limited use and it will work for a report with this Issue hierarchy used in the report and will pick the parent issue in this hierarchy if the field does not have the value.

Daina / support@eazybi.com

Hi @daina.tupule ,

I am trying to solve similar issue but not sure why it is not working.
I have value for Epics, and I want to have the same values for Stories as well. My query looks like this:

CoalesceEmpty(
[Issue Type].CurrentMember.get('Target Qtr'),
[Issue Type].CurrentMember.Parent.Get('Target Qtr')
)

But I got empty values instead. Can you please hint to the problem, please?

Thank you in advance!

You are using issue type dimension in this formula. I would suggest using the Issue dimension instead. While the specific issue type might define the place of the issue, in the hierarchy. You would like to access issues themselves. I also would suggest using the CurrnetHierarchyMember to get it working with Epic (any) hierarchy.

CoalesceEmpty(
[Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.get('Target Qtr'),
[Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.Parent.get('Target Qtr')
)

You would like to use the specific hierarchy in the report as well.

Here is my example report. I selected specific Epic from the Epic hierarchy in my report and expanded it to Parent issues and Sub-tasks. I used a similar formula with Due date instead of Target Qtr. The formula shows due date of the issue itself or the parent. In this case, I have some due dates on parent issues (EX-6 and EX-10) and a sub-task (EX-7). If the sub-tasks (EX-11, EX-12) does not have a due date, it will show parent issue due date in the report.

Daina / support@eazybi.com

1 Like

Thank you Diana for your help :slight_smile:

Hi Daina,

I have an cascading field in Jira, I tried to create a calculate measure in which I want to display only the child value by using the below formula, but it throwing error.

I did the same for Parent value it is displaying as expected.

Kindly help us to fix this issue

CoalesceEmpty(
[Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.get(‘Business Area and Business Components’),
[Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember.Children.get(‘Business Area and Business Components’)
)

Regards,
Revathy Madhavan

Hi Daina,

Please find the referrence for the above request , the values of the cascading field displays in the same column i want it to be seperated into two columns as Parent & Child

Report generated in Eazybi
Cascading field display in eazybi

Regards,
Revathy Madhavan