Hierarchy - Issue Linked to 2 Epics

Hello,

I use a custom hierarchy, which works fine as long as an issue is linked to only 1 Epic.

In my scenario, I have an issue linked to 2 Epics:

The problem is, the issue is not displayed at all. If I remove one of the links, so an issue is linked to only 1 Epic, it is displayed again.

How can I display issues linked to more than 1 Epic?

Thanks,
Paul

Hi @Paul1

in a typical eazyBI hierarchy for the “Issue” dimension there must be only 1 parent issue for each children. This is when eazyBI knows where to place each issue in the hierarchy levels.
If you defined your hierarchy with some custom definition in advanced settings, please share more details on how exactly have you created it and what is the use-case for your report. What do you expect to calculate (which measures) for the hierarchy.
If one child has two epics, the result of the child can be duplicated in reports if it has two parents.

Martins / eazyBI support.

Thanks Martins,

In 90% of scenario I totally agree, that displaying a child in more than 1 parent’s hierarchy would lead to a duplication of effort/story points/etc.

However, there are scenarios where you need to see children with multiple parents, especially with text values, like a team name.

Let’s say we have shared resources, e.g. servers. They are used by many teams.

What I need is a hierarchy with servers showing which teams use them.

Let’s say I need to turn off one of the servers (e.g. server B) and I need to know which teams are using it.

Currently, the structure will be displayed as follows:

So I will inform Team D the server will be shut down but it will be a surprise for Team A and Team C.

Any idea how this problem can be solved?

Tanks,
Paul

@Paul1

eazyBI supports issue hierarchies with one parent only. Typically this supports scenarios when you split down the tasks on different levels. This is quite an easy way on how to create fast reports on total values on any sub-level children.
In this case, if you have many to many relationships - any team can be related to several servers and any server can be related to several teams, you can import one of those as a multiple value link dimension. You can use the linked field dimension in the report with the issue dimension and analyze their relationships. The reports might load slow, though, if you have many linked issues. They could make many combinations.
You would like to add multiple_values = true as a parameter to the issue link dimension. Please note parameters update_from_issue_key will not work consistently with the mutiple_values parameter. We suggest removing it.
Then you could run reports on those setups in accounts with a small number of issues. However, it should give you the coverage chart - which server belongs to which teams.
The described scenario represents some asset management. While you can use issues for this, it might be a better option to use a dedicated app for it. eazyBI supports data import and extensive data analysis for Insight Asset management. We support building more versatile inventory and asset tracking reports on Insight objects.

Martins / eazyBI support