Import issue links as dimension

Hello, is it possible to join link outward and inward?

something like this:

[jira.customfield_Defecto]
name = “Defecto”
outward_link = [“relates to”, “created”]
intward_link = [“relates to”, “created by”]
issue_type = “Defect”
dimension = true
multiple_values = true

Hi @gerda.grantina ,
I tried import import definition from your example, but got error message
“MDX object ‘[Bugs]’ not found in cube ‘Issues’”
Please provide info for this object. Did you defined it in Advanced Settings?
Thank you,
Boris

Hi @gerda.grantina

This is very useful as I`ve just been asked to build analysis with linked issues.
What my client wants is a bit different from what you describe I think.

My client would like to see what is the link and what issue is linked.

For example in issue BUG-188134 there are 2 linked issues.
Relates to: BUG-140122
Mentioned in : ABC (confluence link)

My client would like to see all this information in eazyBI. Something like this:

I understand that the confluence link may not work. This is ok.

As I understand it, to get this, I would need all possible links (from drop down list) as individual Issue Properties. Is this accurate? Is this doable?

The other possible avenue, would be to have Issue Links as a dimension, with all links as siblings in a hierarchy.
Which might result in something like this

Is this at all possible?

Thanks,
Marilou

Hi @bmeyerson,
Yes, for the training account the usual export/import report definition won’t work as the name of the issue link dimension can be different thus the formulas won’t work.
The best option, in this case, is to copy one by one the formula from the training account, adjust it so it works for your dimension - meaning change in the formula the dimension “Bugs” to the one you have (e.g. “Bugs linked to Stories”).

best,
Gerda

Hi @Marcelo_Ignacio_Cid1,
Yes, it is possible to use both outward and inward links in one dimension setup, but you just need to test if that works as you expect as it all depends on issue link usage in your Jira.

best,
Gerda

Hi Marilou,
For your use case, there is not an out-of-the-box solution and the best would be if you can write to eazyBI support and we will try to figure out some solution for your use case.

About the Confluence links, it is possible to create a separate dimension to see those links, see an answer here:

best,
Gerda // support@eazyBI.com

1 Like

Thank you @gerda.grantina , it was helpful

1 Like

Hi @gerda.grantina ,
Thank you for this useful tool.
When I tried to define a new calculated custome field using the code you pasted above -

[jira.customfield_stories_bugs]
name = "Bugs linked to Stories"
outward_link = "causes"
multiple_values = true
dimension = true

I received the attached message error. What am I doing wrong?

Hi @Gnome
You need to use this code in eazyBI advanced settings and after that it needs to be selected for the import in the eazyBI account data import options:

Keep in mind that eazyBI advanced settings are available only to Jira or eazyBI admins, so please contact them if you don’t have those permissions.
And eazyBI account import options are available to the account owner, user, and data admin.

best,
Gerda

Thanks @gerda.grantina !
Indeed I don’t have permissions, will ask the admins to import.
Best,

-Noam

Hi @gerda.grantina
Thank you for these instructions, very useful!
However, I have a question. I have created a custom field as per your suggestion. I have imported it into my account. How can I calculate and provide the number of Issues that were linked to a story?
I am placing Issues on rows and i want to have a number of linked issues next to each parent issue. Is this possible?
Thanks

Osvalda

Hi @Osvalda
Glad to hear that you found this article useful.
If you want to count how many issues are linked to stories, check this eazyBI training account for example measures: Stories with Bugs details - Issues - eazyBI Demo Training - eazyBI

The measure “Linked Bugs count” is the one you are looking for. Copy it and then adjust it and replace dimension name “Bugs” to the issue link dimension you have in your account:

-- annotations.group = 4 Issue links and hierarchies
Case 
When
  [Issue].CurrentMember.Level.Name = "Issue"
  AND
  [Bugs].Currentmember is [Bugs].Defaultmember
Then
  -- retrieve Bugs information from Issue property Bugs
  Nonzero(Count(
    [Issue].CurrentHierarchy.GetLinkedmembers('Bugs')
  ))
Else
 -- total calculation for any issue, data on Bugs level
  NonZero(Sum(
    Descendants([Bugs].Currentmember, [Bugs].[Bugs]),
    -- counts how many times Bugs are reference with issues, this works as a filter as well
    [Measures].[Issues created]
 ))
End

best,
Gerda

1 Like

Hi Gerda,

I am attempting to summarize data using my new custom issue link dimension [Test Findings] and I’m finding that the total sum is not showing up for my calculated measures.

For the basic count of linked Test Findings, that summarizes well using the following measure code:

Case 
When
  AND
  [Test Findings].Currentmember is [Test Findings].Defaultmember
Then
  Nonzero(Count(
    [Issue].CurrentHierarchy.GetLinkedmembers('Test Findings')
  ))
Else
  NonZero(Sum(
    Descendants([Test Findings].Currentmember, [Test Findings].[Test Findings]),
    -- counts how many times Bugs are reference with issues, this works as a filter as well
 ))
End

The result is shown in the screenshot, with a total of 33 linked ‘Test Finding’ issue types for the Issue Log Key:

What I’d like to do is count the total number of linked ‘Test Finding’ issue types that are NOT of status closed or canceled, and have that total appear on the ‘All Test Findings’ level for a nice summary.

I have a calculated measure to identify ‘Linked Test Finding Status’ and that appears to be working. Code below:

-- Linked Test Finding Status
[Status].[Status].getMemberNameByKey(
  [Test Findings].CurrentHierarchyMember.get('Status ID')
)

However the sum calculation on “Count of Not Closed/Canceled Linked Test Findings” calculated measure is not appearing on the ‘All Test Findings’ row as I would expect. Here is the code I have for that calculation right now, where the SUM / FILTER does not appear to be working. The Pages should not have an impact on this view as I’ve tested changing this and there are no filters applied to the report.

-- Count of Not Closed/Canceled Linked Test Findings
Case 
When
  AND
  [Test Findings].Currentmember is [Test Findings].Defaultmember
Then
  Nonzero(Count(
    Filter(
      [Issue].CurrentHierarchy.GetLinkedmembers('Test Finding'),
      [Measures].[Issue status] NOT MATCHES '^Closed$|Canceled$')
  ))
Else
  NonZero(Sum(
    Filter(
      Descendants([Test Findings].CurrentMember, [Test Findings].[Test Findings]),
      [Measures].[Linked Test Finding Status] NOT MATCHES "^Closed$|^Canceled$"),
 ))
End

Thanks!

Hi @dwarner,
it is great to see that you have already got your issue links and formulas. And also, it looks like the last formula is correct; you only have a typo in your formula that impacts the total sum. You are missing ‘s’ for this line:

[Issue].CurrentHierarchy.GetLinkedmembers('Test Finding'),

The correct spelling should be with ‘s’ as your dimension name everywhere else is “Test Findings”:

[Issue].CurrentHierarchy.GetLinkedmembers('Test Findings'),

best,
Gerda

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to look and finding that typo! Apologies for the silly question :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @gerda.grantina

Thanks for the above information in the same way I am looking for a report to analyze linked children issues with parent issues along with the sub-tasks.

Can you please help on this, I tried many of your team but no exact info I think I am on the right platform now.

Thanks and regards
Maheshwar Reddy Maccha

Hi @gerda.grantina ,

I could not find many of the bugs linked to my stories I am able to view only a few bugs as mentioned in the below screenshot. and its showing around 20,161 bugs. also the pointed column is empty in the below mentioned screenshot

Hi,
I have a problem with creating a new dimention regarding issue links.
I have two issue types: Objective (Team) and Objective (Program) which use a link type Child-Issue and the directions are “is parent task of” and “is child task of”.

I have created the following new custom field + dimention

#Team Objectives linked to Program Objectives

[jira.customfield_team_objectives_to_program_objectives]

name = “Team Objectives to Program Objectives”

outward_link = “is parent task of”

inward_link = “is child task of”

multiple_values = true

dimension = true

Sadly I am not seeing the objects above in the result.

Any ideas what am I missing?

Cheers,
Nikola

Hi @nikola.gaydarov ,
Sorry for the late answer.
Can you share if you were able to import the dimension “Team Objectives to Program Objectives” into eazyBI account? Is it empty or if you are missing some issues within that dimension? And do I understand correctly that both issue types are identical “Objective”?

best,
Gerda

Hi @MaheshwarReddy ,
Sorry for the late answer.
Can you share which issue types are you using in your Jira? And what issue links you use to link issue AECP-74 to Bug?
You can also send email to our support directly (support@eazybi.com), so we can help you to troubleshoot the link dimension as there could be that more information will be needed.

best,
Gerda