Initiatives reporting

Hi EazyBI team, I hope all is well in lovely Riga.

We have kicked off a new phase of the reporting project with the goal to report on cross release initiatives.

The data model we have in place in JIRA is as shown bellow:

• Mobile interface is an initiative issue type (NEW type parent of epic)
  • Getting feedback, sharing plans are standard epics
  • Via SMS is a user story
  • Automated tests is a subtask

I guess you already understood that the goal is to aggregate all the values at the ‘initiative’ level and understand for instance the number of cumulative number story points resolved, or time spent (tempo timesheet) for a specific initiative.

The purpose of posting this use case ahead of time is to ask for your best practices about how to handle the situation.

I already tried a couple of things but would like the community’s pieces of advise on the topic.
Thank you so much,

Patrick

1 Like

Hi Patrick,

You would like to create a new hierarchy in Issue dimension for this reporting.

It seems you are using JIRA Portfolio. With JIRA Portfolio Parent link custom field links Epics with Initiatives. You should import this Parent link with an additional advanced option enabled for this custom field update_from_issue_key = “epic_key”.

Please add the definition of this custom field to eazyBI advanced settings:

[jira.customfield_NNNNN]
data_type = "string"
update_from_issue_key = "epic_key"

Then you could add a hierarchy definition to eazyBI advanced settings with Initiative issues at the top level:

[[jira.issue_hierarchies]]
name = "Initiatives"
all_member_name = "All Issues by Initiatives"
levels = [
  {name="Parent link",key_column="customfield_NNNNN",issue_type="Initiative"},
  {name="Epic",key_column="epic_key"},
  {name="Parent",key_column="epic_parent_key"},
  {name="Sub-task",key_column="subtask_key"}
]

Once the both custom field and hierarchy definitions are added to eazyBI advanced settings, please select the custom field Parent Link for import and run an import. Import will create a new issue hierarchy in your account.

Hi Daina,

Thank you by the way for your feedback. we will give this a try and come back to you.

Patrick

Diana,
One of our large clients has created a hierarchy of issues using links:
Issue Type = System Feature
Issue Type = Activity
Issue Type = Task

All are standard issue type. System feature is at the top and has several links to child issues of type Activity. Activity has several links to child issues of type Task.
Using script runner we have a field inside each issue that shows the key of the parent.
Note that this client doesn’t use the Epic Level.

Can we use your method in this post to create a suitable hierarchy inside the issue dimension so that we can create a report with the above hierarchy?

Hi Daina,
We successfully added Initiative level to the Issue dimension and it is working. So thanks for that. However Patrick needs to use initiative as a filter on multiple reports by epics and issues. So I think what I need is to add it as a hierarchy to another dimension or as a separate dimension. Can that be done with EazyBI settings? The current code working is like this:

[jira.customfield_10613]
data_type = “string”
update_from_issue_key = “epic_key”

[[jira.issue_hierarchies]]
name = “Initiatives”
all_member_name = “All Issues by Initiatives”
levels = [
{name=“Parent link”,key_column=“customfield_10613”,issue_type=“Initiative”},
{name=“Epic”,key_column=“epic_key”},
{name=“Parent”,key_column=“epic_parent_key”},
{name=“Sub-task”,key_column=“subtask_key”}
]

Hi Daina, all,

We finally managed to make this work thanks to the help of @Elvis and the https://flex.bi team and having the ‘All Issues by Initiatives’ hierarchy seems to be sufficient.

Thank you for your help,

Patrick

1 Like

I am trying to do this exact same type of reporting with initiatives but cannot get these instructions to work. I get the initiative level hierarchy options to appear but none of the epics are mapped under any initiative. Has anything changed that means this will no on longer work?
Thanks
Kenny