Lowest Level Of Issue Hierarchy Not Populating Members

We are attempting to use EazyBI as the translation layer from SAFe metrics in JIRA to a traditional IMS & WBS reporting structure.

We have implemented most of SAFe, and have JIRA configured as follows:

• Project of SAFe Epics, which is a new custom issue type in JIRA
  • Project of SAFe Capabilities, which is a new custom issue type in JIRA. They have links up to one or more SAFe Epics.
  • Project of SAFe Features, which leverages the built-in JIRA Epic issue type, but with a translation in place so that it appears as “Feature” in the JIRA interface. They have links up to one or more SAFe Capabilities.
  • Multiple Team-level projects, which consist of multiple custom issue types (User Story, Enabler Story, Surge Story). They utilize the standard Epic link to a given SAFe Feature, and may optionally include sub-tasks.

My “Advanced Settings” configuration is shown below. When I use the “Issue” dimension as a Row, and select “All Issues by SAFe Epic”, I am successfully seeing linkage from SAFe Epic all the way down to the team level issues. Other than my own personal hell I have created by tracking down the “(none)” stragglers, the first report I created seems to be working fine.

# SAFe Epic
[jira.customfield_safe_epic]
name = "SAFe Epic"
inward_link = "From Portfolio Epic"
issue_type = "SAFe Epic"
update_from_issue_key = "customfield_safe_cap"
dimension = true

# SAFe Capability
[jira.customfield_safe_cap]
name = "SAFe Capability"
inward_link = "From Solution Capability"
issue_type = "SAFe Capabilities"
update_from_issue_key = "customfield_safe_feat"
dimension = true

# SAFe Feature (using JIRA Epic Type with Name Translation to "Feature")
[jira.customfield_safe_feat]
name = "SAFe Feature"
inward_link = ["has Epic","has Feature"]
issue_type = ["Epic","Feature"]
update_from_issue_key = "customfield_safe_story"
dimension = true

# SAFe Story
[jira.customfield_safe_story]
name = "SAFe Story"
inward_link ="is parent of"
issue_type = ["User Story","Enabler Story","Surge Story"]
update_from_issue_key = "subtask_parent_key"
dimension = true

[[jira.issue_hierarchies]]
name = "SAFe Epics"
all_member_name = "All Issues by SAFe Epic"
levels = [
  {name="SAFe Epic",key_column="customfield_safe_epic",issue_type="SAFe Epic"},
  {name="SAFe Capability",key_column="customfield_safe_cap",issue_type="SAFe Capabilities"},
  {name="SAFe Feature",key_column="customfield_safe_feat",issue_type=["Epic", "Feature"]},
  {name="SAFe Story",key_column="customfield_safe_story",issue_type=["User Story","Enabler Story","Surge Story"]}
]

The issue, more question really, is when I was looking at my options for more detailed analysis of each level of issues. There were 4 “Issue Link” dimensions that were created as a result of the configuration above (SAFe Epic, SAFe Capability, SAFe Feature, SAFe Story). After adding them as Rows, the first three all populate the individual items when I expand the associated “All” item.

The SAFe Story, however, has no items listed when I expand it:

My question is why I am seeing this behavior, and I suspect I have messed up the “Advanced Settings” section somehow.

Thanks for any assistance.

Hi @amack,

Welcome to the eazyBI community!

Thank you for the thorough write-up. It is yet unclear why the issue link dimension “SAFe Story” has no members. But, to confirm, does the hierarchy “SAFe Epics” in the Issue dimension have members in the “SAFe Story” level?

The link and direction you have defined for “SAFe Story” - inward_link ="is parent of", to what issues does it point? If to sub-tasks, I don’t see why you need this issue link defined. I suggest removing it and redefining the “SAFe Feature” parameter from:
update_from_issue_key = "customfield_safe_story"
to:
update_from_issue_key = "subtask_parent_key".

The hierarchy then could look similar to the one below:

[[jira.issue_hierarchies]]
name = "SAFe Epics"
all_member_name = "All Issues by SAFe Epic"
levels = [
  {name="SAFe Epic",key_column="customfield_safe_epic",issue_type="SAFe Epic"},
  {name="SAFe Capability",key_column="customfield_safe_cap",issue_type="SAFe Capabilities"},
  {name="SAFe Feature",key_column="customfield_safe_feat",issue_type=["Epic", "Feature"]},
  {name="SAFe Story",key_column="subtask_parent_key"},
  {name="Sub-task",key_column="subtask_key"}
]

Please provide more details on the issue link if my assumption is incorrect.

Please see more additional issue hierarchy troubleshooting options on the eazyBI documentation page - Additional Issue hierarchies.

Best,
Roberts // support@eazybi.com