Need help to build a Version report

Hi,

I’m trying to build a Version report and I’m facing some difficulties.

In our Jira projects we have issues without sub-tasks where time (Original Estimate & Remaining Estimate) is tracked directly and issues with sub-tasks where time is tracked at sub-tasks level.

I’ve selected Project and Fix Version dimensions as Pages.
Project is used to select an overall Project or a Component inside a Project (in big project Component is used to define a team).
Fix Version is used to select the version for which I want to build the report.

I’ve selected Time dimension as Rows with Week selected as Hierarchy level members.

Then, I’ve created a calculated measure Time within version (formatting as Integer) to filter time to keep only the version time frame on the Timeline chart:
CASE WHEN
DateBetween([Time].CurrentHierarchyMember.StartDate,
[Measures].[Version start date],
[Measures].[Version release date] )
THEN 1
END

The 4 measures I want to display for each week are:
Cumulative hours spent with sub-tasks within version
Here, I’ve created the corresponding calculated measure using the following formula and it works well:
CoalesceEmpty(Sum(
Filter(
[Time].CurrentHierarchyMember.Level.Members,
[Measures].[Time within version] = 1
).Item(0):[Time].CurrentHierarchyMember,
[Measures].[Hours spent with sub-tasks]
), 0)

Remaining estimated hours with sub-tasks within version
Release guideline (ideal remaining estimated hours to reach version end date)
Original estimated hours with sub-tasks within version

I’ve tried different solutions for these 3 measures but without success.

So, could you please help me for these 3 measures.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Christophe

Hi @Christophe,

I suspect that you don’t have the Fix Versions specified in the sub-task level. Only the parents have Fix Versions selected. If that is the case, you could try to define a new calculated custom field - “Parent Fix Version” and use it instead of the Fix Version dimension in the pages. Please have a look at the parameters for this custom field:

[[jira.issue_link_field_dimensions]]
name = "Parent Fix Version"
source_dimension = "Fix Version"
issue_id_column = "subtask_parent_id"
group = "Linked issue dimensions"

Put these parameters in the eazyBI advanced settings. After updating the advanced settings, you will be able to select this custom field for import in the eazyBI import settings “Additional options” tab in the “Issue link field dimensions” section. It should be between the “Interval dimension” and “Sample reports” sections.

Finally, you can use the Parent Fix Version dimension in the pages of the report and build the calculated measures using the standard measures “Hours spent”, “Original estimated hours”, etc.

Kind regards,
Roberts // eazyBI support

Hi Roberts,

First, sorry for the late feedback :frowning: (vacation & business travels)!

Yes, Fix Version is set only at the parent level.
So, I’ve tried your solution and added “Parent Fix Version” custom field.

Now, I have:

• Pages: Project, Parent Fix Version
  • Rows: Time

And the following calculated measures:
Original estimated hours history
CoalesceEmpty(
Cache(
Sum({PreviousPeriods([Time].CurrentHierarchyMember),
[Time].CurrentHierarchyMember},
[Measures].[Original estimated hours]
)
) , 0 )

Hours spent history
CoalesceEmpty(
Cache(
Sum({PreviousPeriods([Time].CurrentHierarchyMember),
[Time].CurrentHierarchyMember},
[Measures].[Hours spent]
)
) , 0 )

ETC history (Estimate To Completion = Remaining estimated hours)
CoalesceEmpty(
[Measures].[Remaining estimated hours history] , 0 )

It works much better, but I’m still facing some issues:

• It seems Original estimated hours history values are allocated at the time the issue has been created, not at the time the Original Estimate has been actually set or modified.
    How can we fix this behavior?

• As said in my first message, for large projects we use Component to define teams. When I select a project, calculated measures are correct, but when I select a Component under a project (to build a version report for a specific team) it doesn’t work. As for Fix Version, Component is set only at the parent level and not in the sub-tasks.
    Do I have to create, as for “Parent Fix Version”, a “Parent Project” custom field?
    If yes, is the definition below correct?
    [[jira.issue_link_field_dimensions]]
    name = “Parent Project”
    source_dimension = “Project”
    issue_id_column = “subtask_parent_id”
    group = “Linked issue dimensions”

Thanks in advance.

Kind Regards,
Christophe

@Christophe

Sorry, it is not possible to create a “Parent Component” dimension. There are some technical limitations because of differences in the structure of the Fix Version and Project dimension.

I would suggest using the “… with sub-tasks” measures for all the metrics you are interested in. This way, you wouldn’t need the “Parent Fix Version” dimension.

You are right, eazyBI displays the value of the measure “Original estimated hours” on the Time dimension when the issue was created. For eazyBI for Jira server, it is possible to change this behavior only via a JiraMisc custom field. Please have a look at an example of how to do this on the eazyBI documentation page - https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/data-import/data-from-jira-and-apps/jira-misc-custom-fields#JiraMiscCustomFields-Originalestimatedhourshistory.

We do have an improvement in our backlog regarding this. I added your vote to it. Right now, I don’t have any information on when this will be available.

Best,

Hi Roberts,

Thanks for your answer.

I have a question regarding your solution proposal (use “… with sub-tasks” measures and use Fix Version and no more Parent Fix Version) for Remaining estimated hours with sub-tasks history.
Remaining estimated hours history predefined measure is computed based on Remaining estimated hours change predefined measure.
But there is no Remaining estimated hours with sub-tasks change predefined measure.
So, could you tell me how to compute Remaining estimated hours with sub-tasks history?

Thanks.

Kind Regards,
Christophe

Hello Christophe,
I am interested in your topic since I am trying to build the same kind of report based on Fix Version.

You got some good answers from this topic, what about this one below?
Release guideline (ideal remaining estimated hours to reach version end date)

I tried to create this kind of Release guideline but no success, did you find a way?

Thanks
Best Regards