Report on custom field data stored in separate issue, related by label type custom field

For performance purposes, I think this request would best be handled on the import side of things, but I’m open to a calculated member as well if possible.

I’d like to use a custom field for filtering on reports, but that custom field “Study ID” is stored only in a particular issue of type ‘Study’, which can be linked to other issues via a custom field called “protocol”. Note that the non-Study issues don’t contain this custom field of “Study ID” but all issues (including Study) have the common custom field of “protocol”.

If possible, I’d like to write an import definition that associates a regular old issue with the corresponding “Study ID” that is stored on the ‘Study’ issue type, using the “protocol” field as a go-between.

I’ve read through the available resources, but don’t quite understand how I’d associate this custom field with the regular issues by pulling it out of matching ‘Study’ issue types. I was able to get this to work using issue links, but that isn’t how things are implemented today and I wanted to see if we could use a common custom field value (protocol) as the common data item to pull data across.

Any advice is appreciated!

@dwarner

Welcome to eazyBI community!

You can create custom hierarchies in Issue dimension but there are some rules to build them.
There can be only 1 parent per issue to create the hierarchy levels and one issue type can not appear in multiple hierarchy levels.

You mentioned that you use “label type custom field”. Usually that means a multi-value field in Jira and eazyBI won’t let you “copy” multi-value fields from one issue to another.
Also it is not that clear what you want to calculate for linked protocols and how would the layout for your report look like.
If “Protocol” is imported and it has issue-keys, you could represent the linked issues in the column for the main issue and then use MDX to “jump” from the protocol value to the actual issue (imported in the cube) and find the “Study ID” value from the linked issue.

Martins / eazyBI

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the clarifying questions. I’ll do my best to answer:

• We are trying to retrieve a single-value field, a user-select field known as ‘SSA’
  • We are trying to pull this field from a ‘parent’, but the link between a regular issue and the ‘parent’ issue is not established via link hierarchy, but instead by a specific field, the protocol field.
  • There should only ever be one ‘parent’ associated with this protocol, differentiated by the issue type. So, for protocol ‘x’, there may be any number of child issues of any issue type, but only one parent issue of issue type ‘Study’.
    • Said another way, if I ran a JQL search for: issuetype = “Study” AND protocol = “X” only one issue should be returned.

Here is the desired layout of an example report:

• SSA [Imported from parent] | protocols associated with SSA | issues associated with those protocols

Where SSA is simply a user-select custom field that exists on the Study issue type, but one SSA may be associated with multiple Study issues. Study is 1:1 with protocol.

How would I do something like this? I’m not sure what you mean by ‘if Protocol has issue-keys’. Apologies as I’m just a beginner with EazyBI.

If “Protocol” is imported and it has issue-keys, you could represent the linked issues in the column for the main issue and then use MDX to “jump” from the protocol value to the actual issue (imported in the cube) and find the “Study ID” value from the linked issue.

@dwarner

So then SSA is a user-picker Jira custom field?
Or what exactly do you mean by user-select field?

Martins

Hi @martins.vanags ,

Yes - the SSA field is a user-picker. I used the wrong terminology, my apologies.

-Dane

@dwarner

What type of custom field is “Protocol” exactly?
is it a single-issue picker, multi-issue picker or perhaps some other field type?

Martins

“Protocol” is unfortunately a label-type custom field currently, but is being migrated to a select list (single choice) custom field type.

Both the ‘Study’ issue type and the standard support ticket issue types use the “Protocol” field, which is what they have in common. If the value for “Protocol” is the same between a support issue type and a Study issue type, they are referencing the same “Protocol” and therefore are related.

@dwarner

Once the protocol is a single-select field, it should be possible to group issues by protocol field values.
But please reach out to support@eazybi.com for more details about your requirement including the expected layout of your report and the measure you want to calculate.

Martins / eazyBI support