Resolution Time calculation in a report

Hi,
I am very new to report creation. I am trying to calculate Resolution Time of JIRA issues.

Resolution Time is defined as , "Time taken by an issue to reach completion (DONE state) from In Progress state or any other state "

I have 2 scenarios that I need to consider:

1. Direct Transition, e.g. In Progress → DONE, i.e. only one phase towards DONE.
  2. Multiple Transitions. e.g.
    In Progress → Ready QA → DONE ,
    OR
    In Progress → Ready QA → Testing → DONE
    That is there can be multiple steps before being DONE

I am really struggling to make an approach for it. Any help towards this 2 problems is much appreciated.

THANKS.

1 Like

Hi @soumen_jana ,

Welcome to the eazyBI community! For only the first scenario, with the direct transition from In Progress to Done, define a new calculated measure with the formula below:

([Measures].[Days in transition status],
[Transition].[In Progress => Done])

For the second scenario where there can be the direct transition and multiple other transitions, define a new calculated measure with a formula similar to the one below:

Sum(
  {[Transition Status].[In Progress],
  [Transition Status].[In Review],
  [Transition Status].[Approved],
  [Transition Status].[Ready for QA]},
  [Status].[Done])
)

Update the Transition Status dimension members to match the statuses the issue can travel through on the way from “In Progress” till “Done”. No need to include the last status “Done” in that set. The formula will return the sum of days the issue spent in the statuses if the issue’s current status is “Done”.

Look at our documentation page for more information on defining calculated measures -​https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/analyze-and-visualize/calculated-measures-and-members.

Best,
Roberts // support@eazybi.com

1 Like

Hi @roberts.cacus ,

Thanks for the solution. I have a query regarding the second scenario.
How to update the Transition Status dimension,
like,
In progress => In Review
OR
=> In Progress

Hi @soumen_jana

You can create a similar aggregation using the Transition dimension members instead of Transition Status. See an example below:

Sum(
  {[Transition].[=> In Progress],
  [Transition].[In progress => In Review]},
  [Status].[Done])
)

Best,
Roberts support@eazybi.com

Hi @roberts.cacus ,

I tried your suggestion for the first scenario. It was giving right results but along with that it is also giving some old records for which there is no resolution time coming.

I have selected Previous month from the Time dimension. But still some extra records which do not belong to the selected time frame , are also coming. Hence for them, no Resolution time is generating and I also don’t need them as well.

Any Suggestion?

Regards,
Soumen

Hi @soumen_jana ,

Does the report have the Issue dimension in rows and display issues that have no value for the respective calculated measure? In that case, you can filter the report rows by the calculated measure, to display only relevant results. See more details on filtering report rows on the eazyBI documentation page - Create reports - eazyBI for Jira.

If that is not the case, please share a screenshot of the report and more details.
Best,

Roberts // support@eazybi.com

Hi @roberts.cacus ,

I have Issue dimension in rows. I will try to filter the report rows as you have mentioned. thank you.