Selecting then deselecting an "All" hierarchy member in a dimension

I am sure this is basic stuff but I really want to understand the approach. When selecting an “All” hierarchy members of a dimension (e.g. using “All issues by epics” in the Issues dimension) the resulting report creates the corresponding row for “All …” (in my example, “All Issues by epic”) with its corresponding aggregate values for the selected measure. It also changes the remaining rows to be organized and filtered accordingly. If I then de-select that “All …” button, the aggregate All row goes away (which makes sense to me), but the remaining rows are still organized and filtered the same way.

Another example is:
(1) I created a report with Sprint as a dimension

(2) I created a calculated member called “All open sprints” whose defining code is:
Aggregate(
Order(
Filter([Sprint].[Sprint].Members,
NOT [Sprint].CurrentMember.getBoolean(‘Closed’) AND
NOT IsEmpty([Sprint].CurrentMember.get(‘Start date’))),
[Sprint].CurrentMember.get(‘Start date’),
BASC
)
)

(3) When I click the “All open sprints” button under “select individual members”, it limits the rows in the report to only include open sprints. It also includes an aggregate row called “All open sprints”

(4) If I then deselect the “All open sprints” button, the aggregate row goes away (which I expect), but the remaining rows still only include the open sprints.

I realize that I can click into “All hierarchy level members” and re-select all sprints, but I would love to understand the intentions behind this … so far I am finding it somewhat counter-intuitive what is remembered and what is not remembered when I select and then de-select hierarchy dimension members this way, and would really love an explanation of what I’m missing … I looked through the docs and couldn’t find anything that did it for me.

Thanks!
-gene lewin

Hi @genelewin,

I get it why it is confusing as you would expect all the members to disappear with the upper level. But once you have expanded the “All” member or any other calculated member, de-selecting it from the dimensions “Select individual member” section works as the “Remove” option only for the upper member.

There are several reasons for this behavior. One of them is based on the need to remove the upper level and only display the members beneath it that are relevant in specific situations. And this is providing a convenient way to do it.

Kind regards,
Roberts // eazyBI support