Single Project With Multiple Scrum Teams - Sprint Velocity Report

Hi everyone!

I am in the process of attempting to create a sprint velocity report for a number of different scrum teams in the same project. I started off by using Project & Scrum team as a filter (In pages), last 5 sprints in rows, and all the standard measures in columns.

The problem I seem to be having is that the default “last 5 sprints” is not specific to that of the scrum team selected in the page, and it simply renders that of the last 5 sprints of any sprints in the project.

Moving all scrum teams to seperate projects would cause a myriad of issues, so unfortunately that is not an option.

I’ve also thought about using manual tagging of the sprints in order to have a clear & distinct list, but unfortunately that isn’t a long term viable option as we have a number of scrum teams and if we needed to update the report every two weeks it would be unmanageable.

Does anyone have any solutions for this issue? Ideally, figuring this out would also address a number of the sprint metrics that we would need to build as a part of CI/CD.

Thanks in advance!

HI @tfitzgerald

Indeed, the calculated member “Last 5 closed sprints” in the Sprint dimension is not related to the Scrum Team (or any other dimension selected in Pages).

Instead, you may create a calculated measure (in Measure) to rank all sprints related to Page selection, add this measure in columns and then filter all sprints with rank 5 and less.

You may check demo velocity chart Sprint velocity chart - Issues - Jira Demo - eazyBI , where such approach is used: see measure “Last closed sprints by boards” and filter on it.

If a project means the same as a board in your case, then, instead of Project, use Sprint board selection in Pages (additional to the Scrum Team) and this measure would calculated the rank of all sprints for this Scrum Tem from the selected board.

If projects are not the same as boards, you may create a bit different calculation for getting sprint rank; then Sprint boards can not be used in Pages, use Projects instead.

NonZero(
    Rank( [Sprint].CurrentHierarchyMember,
     Order(
       Filter(
        [Sprint].[Sprint].Members,
        [Sprint].CurrentHierarchyMember.getBoolean('Closed') AND
        NOT IsEmpty([Sprint].CurrentHierarchyMember.get('Complete date')) AND
        ([Measures].[Sprint issues at closing], [Time].CurrentHierarchy.DefaultMember) > 0
    ),
  [Sprint].CurrentHierarchyMember.get('Complete date'), ASC)
    )
  )

Best,
Ilze , support@eazybi.com