Story cycle time help!

Long time lurker, first time poster :slight_smile:

I need to put together a cycle time bar graph that shows me the average length of time (in working days) a story is marked in progress until it is closed.

My teams are in 3 projects and we have a custom field to mark stories by team. Ideally I would want to see the average by month for the entire platform with the option to drill down by project and team.

I am mainly stuck because of my confusion with time in transition status and how to account for stories bouncing between statuses. Iā€™d like to have the rule be from the most recent time the story was made in progress and then closed.

Thank you in advance for the support!

Here is one report example in our demo account on cycle times. This report works on historical status change and will count total time in any status from status category In Progress (Transition status hierarchy by Category In Progress).

The measure Rolling Average cycle time also includes an alternative solution, to an average time spent within a specified list of statuses.

However, if this report example, does not suit you. You can define a new calculation based on the time when an issue moved to a particular status. In this time, I used a measure Transitions to status last time in a tuple with Transition status In Progress, and default time member to get a date and time when an issue moved to the status In Progress for the last time.

I am calculating this time until an issue was resolved and show the value for resolved issues in a period:

NonZero(AVG(
  Filter(
    Descendants([Issue].CurrentMember, [Issue].[Issue]),
    DateInPeriod(
      [Measures].[Issue resolution date],
      [Time].CurrentHierarchyMember
  )),
  CASE WHEN [Measures].[Issues resolved] > 0
  THEN
    DateDiffDays(
      ([Measures].[Transition to status last date],
      [Transition Status].[In Progress],
      [Time].CurrentHierarchy.DefaultMember),
    [Measures].[Issue resolution date]
    )
  END
))

We suggest using some issue properties for calculations on issues. In this case, I am using Issue property Issue resolution date for the main filter and in dateDiffDays function as an end date of the cycle as well.

You can use issue property Issues closed date and measure Issues closed instead.

Daina / support@eazybi.com

1 Like