Sum items within the hierarchy

Hi!
In the hierarchy we currently have, there are Jira issuetypes of type Initiatives that split into Epics and epics split into stories.

We have a table with a column counting the days that the issues were “in progress” to understand the delivery effort we had for an objective/initiative.

In this case, we just want the effort number of the delivery items (stories and tasks) and that this effort is added and is in front of its parent’s line.

We don’t want the days of initiatives and epics issuetypes to be added up, just the effort of the children of those items and that effort of the children to be added and reflected in their parent.

As in the image above, there are 16 days of effort in the task and 12 more days in the story, both are children of the epic, in this case the days of effort for the epic would be 28, but as EazyBI is still adding to the days that the epic got “in progress” he da 39, this also happens when an initiative.

I would like to understand where I can add this condition of not considering the effort of issues like initiatives and epics because they are strategic views and just adding up the numbers of their children, collapsing both from stories to epics and from epics to your initiative.

Hi @Leonardo_Sciola

Welcome to the Community!

You can achieve this by defining a new calculated measure in which you can use a tuple to limit the scope of issues returned.
First, in your Issue type dimension define a new calculated member “Children types”(or however you want to name it) with the following formula:

Aggregate(
  Except(
    [Issue Type].[Issue Type].Members, 
    {[Issue Type].[Epic],
    [Issue Type].[Initiative]}
  )
)

This member will Aggregate all the issue types Except for the “Epic” and “Initiative” types.
Next, define a new calculated measure in your Measures dimension using this newly created member in a tuple together with your existing Effort measure:

(
  [Measures].[Effort (Total in Workdays)],
  [Issue Type].[Children types]
)

Use this measure instead of your existing Effort measure to return only Effort from children issues.

Best regards,
Nauris / eazyBI support

Hi @nauris.malitis

Thank you very much for the quick return!

I don’t really know how to use a tuple with the code you informed

My current Effort measure [Effort (Total in Workdays)]:

CASE WHEN 
([Measures].[Issues resolved] > 0)
THEN
([Measures].[Workdays in transition status], [Transition status].[Unresolved status]) + (0) 
END

The idea would be to add only the effort of the child items in this formula, but I don’t know where to insert the measure you sent.

(
)

I can’t call the [Measures.[Effort (total in workdays)] inside yourself, I don’t know where to insert the code above.

Would you help me?

Hi @Leonardo_Sciola

Sorry about the late reply, this somehow missed my inbox.

The provided solution uses your already defined Effort measure - [Effort (Total in Workdays)], you don’t need to change it or even select it for your report.

When defining a new measure, you can just reference your already existing measure and add another dimension (in this case- Issue Type) to the tuple, to reduce the scope of your original measure.

Use the following formula in your new measure and use this new measure in your report.

(
)

Best regards,
Nauris

How did you create the measure Initiative, and how did you get it to drill down. Sorry, I’m new to this and any help would be appreciated.