User-Specific Bookmark and Recall of current selection of Dimension Members on a Dashboard

Hello,
we provide several dashboards for our Users centrally, where they can get different metrics on different levels (e.g. Teams or Feature). Usually, a user is interested in a very specific subset of the data and this is fine, as long as he has to select e.g. one Member on a Team Dimension. But on several occassions we had the use-case, that a user typically has to select maybe 10-15 Members in a Multiselection, if e.g. he wants to see an aggregated burndown of those issues. This is tedious and error-prone work.

Could you please introduce/think about a Feature where a user could bookmark such a Multiselection, and maybe even spanning several dimensions (e.g. a combination of Epic-IDs and Labels could also be helpful to be persisted)?

I’m actually confused I haven’t found this request in this forum yet, as it is a very common use-case for us.

Best regards,
Tobias

Hi @thv

Thanks for the feature suggestion! We’ll look into this as a possible feature, but I can’t promise any foreseeable timeline for this.

However, there are a couple of pieces of advice that could help you out with this.

1. Consider creating additional report accounts. In the dedicated report accounts, you can import only the relevant projects for the work groups.
    This will also help declutter the Dashboard section, as each account’s dashboard sections are kept separate, and you may even pre-save certain most-used dashboards with the necessary selections.
  2. In the Analyze tab, when creating or editing a report, you can define new calculated members that will Aggregate several members under one member. In this example, in the Project dimension I will create a new “Demo projects” member that will aggregate all the Demo projects. Next, in the Dashboard section, I’ll add the Project Page filter as a common page filter and select the newly created member. Now, when I need to select all three Demo projects, I can simply select the “Demo projects” aggregate. (see the following images)

Let me know if you have any questions on this!
Best regards,
Nauris / eazyBI support

I’d like to add some additional weight to the need for this feature. I’ve got 5 standard reports we’re using for Team-level and Product-level dashboards for 48 teams and almost 20 products. They all exist across two data cubes, differentiating by Project or Component within the Project. I had hoped that meant we only had 2 copies of each report, one per cube, and the dashboards would each just be a different view of that report by having each Dashboard storing the bookmark/page selections. This is important because each team or product is being viewed by a different manager/product person/leadership team, who don’t want to deal with the fiddly details of selecting (or even knowing) project or component for what they need.

Instead, we have around 350ish reports, all copies of the same original 5 reports. Its cumbersome, but not terrible, right up until someone comes along and wants us to tweak our reports to fit this month’s reporting flavor needs. We have to make the changes to any given report almost 70 times because someone wants a new column, or show these data labels differently, etc.

Hi @ghyotter

Thanks for writing in!

Have you tried using the Dashboard common page filters to save different contexts for each dashboard that use the same report?

You can create a report with Page filters and use this same report in several eazyBI dashboards. Click on the “Edit” button of the dashboard and click on the Page filter drop-down in your report. There should be a “common page” button visible. Enable this option, and this Page filter will become a common page filter for this dashboard. While still in the “Edit” mode of the dashboard, make the necessary selection for this filter and click “Save changes”.

Now, when you open the dashboard, the saved common page filter will show the reports filtered by the common page filter selected and saved in the dashboard settings.

This way, you can re-use the same report with different eazyBI dashboards, and the report will adjust to the context that is set and saved in the Dashboard common page filters.

Let me know if this works as expected or if you have additional questions on this!
Best regards,
Nauris

That was exactly what I needed, thank you!!

1 Like