Velocity per quarter

My teams currently work in sprints. I currently have a report that shows their velocity over the last 5 closed sprints. I am looking to have their velocity by quarter as well. I tried using the time but I believe the measure is still pulling the last 5 closed sprints. Can you please assist with a formula to capture velocity by quarter rather then by last closed sprints.

Thank you!

Hi @AnneDixon,

Yes, you can create a calculation that would calculate the average velocity based on the last 5 quarters instead of Sprints.
For the calcaution, use functions DateMembersBetween() and Lag() to find previous 5 quarters from any selected quarter, this way you will see the change in there average velocity over time as well.

The expression for Completed story points in the previous 5 quarters might look like this:

CASE WHEN --perform calcaution only when Quarters are on report rows
  [Time].CurrentHierarchyMember.Level.Name = 'Quarter'
THEN
  Avg(
    --set of previous 5 quarter (excluding the current)
    [Time].[Quarter].DateMembersBetween(
      [Time].CurrentMember.Lag(5).StartDate,    
      [Time].CurrentMember.PrevMember.StartDate
    ),  
    --measure for velocity in each period
    [Measures].[Story Points resolved]
  )
END

The measure “Story Points resolved” would show all resolved story points from the selected period based on the issue resolution date. You can use another measure, for example, “Sprint Story Points completed,” to see the Story Point velocity of issues from Sprints that ended in the previous 5 quarters. Or use another measure you are already using for your velocity report.

Note the calcaution would work only when you “Time” dimension in your report and have selected a particular Quarter on pages or have Quarters on report rows.

Best,
Zane / support@eazyBI.com