Build sprint velocity report per custom field not per story points done

Hello,

I have a custom field called ‘business value’. I’d like to build sprint velocity report using this field instead of the story points.
I could use the story points instead of the business value but I’d rather not mix both. While story points is used for estimates, I’d like to rather track business value and how this is done over time.

The closest report I see is this example Sprints by sprint name velocity - Issues - eazyBI Demo Training - eazyBI

It is described here in some detail under “Sprint velocity”

Sprint reports for sprint week cycles (Sprint custom hierarchies).

I still find it a bit confusing as to how to approach this.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
Julian

Hi Julian,
Thanks for reaching out!

If the question is more about “Business value” vs “Story points”, then this “Sprint velocity chart” is less complex and described here: Sprint velocity chart

Here are the steps to recreate that report with custom field measure:
(1) Import “Business value” as a measure with value changes. Importing it as a measure with value changes will create a list of measures, for example, “Business value created” or hidden measure “Business value added”. If it is text field in Jira, here is documentation for changing it to number first.

(2) Once you have the new measures, you can write MDX functions similar to the example report. For example, to see what the value of the field was at Sprint start, you could copy and rewrite the formula of “Sprint Story Points committed” to display “Business value committed”:

-- annotations.group= Business values
( 
[Measures].[Business value added],
[Transition Field].[Sprint status],
[Sprint Status].[Active],
  -- An issue was in a sprint at a sprint start time
[Issue Sprint Status Change].[Future => Active]
 )

For the set of new calculations I suggest adding annotations to group them together.

Also, use the “Business value history” measure that is created when importing value changes to see how the value of the field changed during Sprint time.

Let me know if that works for you or if you have more questions.

Kindly,
Ilze

1 Like