Dealing with Issues in Multiple Sprints

In our JIRA system we have issues assigned to several sprints. Evaluation of those isues in general is difficult since those issues ar accounted to several sprints. In my case I want those issues to be accounted to the last sprint they are in. This is the approach I took.

Let’s assume that the sprints that are relevant for evaluation are MySprint1, MySprint2, …
then first I define a calculated member [Sprint].[MySprints] in the Sprint dimension as follows and as already seen here in the community

Aggregate (
  Order (
    Filter (
      [Sprint].[Sprint].Members, 
      [Sprint].CurrentMember.Name MATCHES '^MySprint.*' AND
      NOT isEmpty([Sprint].CurrentMember.Get('Start date'))
    ),
    [Sprint].CurrentMember.Get('Start date'), BASC
  )
)

Then the idea is to count the number of occurences of an issue in all sprints and compare that versus the number of accumulated occurences at a specific sprint. If those numbers are the same I know we are at the last sprint the issue is in.

So we define a measure [Total InSprint Count] as follows

Aggregate (
  ChildrenSet (
    [Sprint].[MySprints]
  ), 
  [Measures].[Sprint issues at closing]
)

and a second measure [Current InSprint Count] as follows

CASE WHEN
  -- This is just to get the totals right
  [Sprint].CurrentMember IS [Sprint].[MySprints]
THEN 
  Aggregate(
    Cache (ChildrenSet([Sprint].[MySprints])),
  )
ELSE
  -- for a sprint in the set of MySprints
  -- it adds up the occurences in all sprints up to the one specified
  Aggregate (
    Head (
      Cache (ChildrenSet([Sprint].[MySprints])),
      Rank ([Sprint].CurrentMember,
        Cache (ChildrenSet([Sprint].[MySprints]))
      )
    ),
  )
END

Based on this we then define a measure [My Unique Measure]

NonZero (
  SUM (
    Filter (
      Descendants ([Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember,[Issue].[Issue]),
      [Measures].[Sprint issues at closing] > 0 
      AND
      ([Issue].CurrentMember, [Measures].[Current InSprint Count]) =
      ([Issue].CurrentMember, [Measures].[Total InSprint Count])
    ),
    (
    [Measures].[some story point measure],
    [Sprint].DefaultMember
    )
  )
)

If you have further sugggestions on improving or simplifying this approach, please let me know

1 Like

eazyBI builds a set of sprint-specific measures based on historical measures and dimensions. With this approach, you can the whole scope of sprints.

However, I hear you. You would like to analyze values for the last sprint only.

1. The simplest option would be using default measures like Story Points resolved. We show any values in those default measures for the last sprint only.
    It might not work for the scenarios if the issue was completed in a sprint, but the resolution date was after the sprint completion. In this case, we assume the issue was resolved outside of any sprint. The last sprint in this case is (no sprint).

2. Your formulas should work if scenario 1 does not work. With version 6.1 we added a set of sprint properties that should simplify the formula and improve the performance of it as well.

In this scenario, I am using the property Issue Sprints represented by ‘Sprint IDs’. It represents all sprints with value for sprint issue at closing.

Sum(
  Filter(
    Descendants([Issue].CurrentMember,[Issue].[Issue]),
    Rank([Sprint].CurrentHierarchyMember,
     [Sprint].CurrentHierarchy.Levels("Sprint").GetMembersByKeys(
       [Issue].CurrentMember.Get('Sprint IDs')
     ))
     = Count(     
       [Sprint].CurrentHierarchy.Levels("Sprint").GetMembersByKeys(
       [Issue].CurrentMember.Get('Sprint IDs'))
      )
  ),
  ([Measures].[Story Points resolved] , [Sprint].CurrentHierarchy.DefaultMember)
)

Here is how it works in my report. In the example data, one of my issues was resolved an hour later after the sprint completion. Therefore, It does not have values for Story Points resolved but has value for Story Points for the last sprint. Issue sprint represents the last sprint, Issue Sprints represents all sprints issue was at the moment of sprint closing. This property is the one I used in the formula.

Daina / support@eazybi.com

1 Like