How to calculate a "MTTR" considering only some statuses

Hi all:

I need to calculate some kind of “MTTRCA” (Mean Time to find out a Root Cause) for Problem Management. I know that there is a measure for that, but the thing is that the Jira project is used by Incident Management team as well, therefore some statuses are part of the Incident whereas others are part of Problem Management.

How to calculate that “MTTRCA” considering only the statuses used by Problem Management (therefore the days spent only on those statuses)?

Thanks!

Hi @walterdp

I would suggest using Issue cycles to define which Statuses should be combined to form which cycles.

You can define them in the Source Data tab in the Jira import options:

​Let me know if this fits your use case or if you have any additional questions on this!
​Best regards,
​Nauris

Hi, @nauris.malitis :

Thanks for replying. I’ll check if this is possible with the cube I have because there are 2 project in it, one is a Jira Software (and this is the one I need to extract the data from) and the other is a Jira Service Management project.

I’ll let you know.

Walter

Hi, @nauris.malitis :

Unfortunately, that option does not appear

Hi @walterdp

Issue cycles have been added since eazyBI version 6.5.0 / Released Jun 27, 2022.
If it is possible, I’d suggest updating eazyBI to the latest version.

If it is not possible, you can use some of the workarounds described in these Community answers:

Also, you can check out this “Issue days in selected status” Demo report: Issue days in selected status - Issues - Jira Demo - eazyBI
And also this Dashboard:
Age, Lead, and Cycle Time - Jira Demo - eazyBI

1 Like

Hi @nauris.malitis

Considering I’m pretty much new to EazyBI and after checking all the options, I used this calculated formula and the results are matching the data, but when I add more dimensions (like assignees) the query takes longer and gives time outs.

Any ideas on how to improve it?

-- the formula calculates total time spent in cycle for resolved issues. 
-- should use in report or in another formula with Transition status dimension
IIF(
  [Time].CurrentHierarchyMember is [Time].CurrentHierarchy.DefaultMember
  AND
  [Issue].CurrentMember.Level.Name <> "Issue",
    -- with time default memeber total days in status / distinct count of issues moving from the status for currently resolved issues only
    ([Measures].[Days in transition status],
      [Status.Category].[Done]) 
    /
    ([Measures].[Transitions from status issues count] ,
    [Status.Category].[Done]),
  -- calculation for a selected period/timeline requires issue level calculation. 
  NonZero(AVG(
    Filter(
      Descendants([Issue].CurrentMember, [Issue].[Issue]),
      -- filter issues resolved in period
      DateInPeriod(
        [Measures].[Issue resolution date],
        [Time].CurrentHierarchyMember
    )),
    CASE WHEN 
     -- filter currently resolved issues by any dimension, except transition status
      ([Measures].[Issues resolved], [Transition Status].CurrentHierarchy.DefaultMember) > 0
    THEN
    -- count total time spent for this issue in a particular status - use Transition status in report 
      NonZero(
        DefaultContext((
         [Measures].[Days in transition status],
         [Issue].CurrentMember,
         [Transition Status].CurrentHierarchyMember, -- use Transition status in report or in another formula
         [Status.Category].[Done]))
      )
    END
  ))
)

Hi @walterdp

This is due to the fact that all of these workarounds are using the resource-heavy Descendants function that iterates through all of the issues in your report account.

If you have imported several projects with many issues in this report account, there is a high possibility to experience a time-out once the context of the report gets too complex (more dimensions get added).

The best recommendation would be to ask your Jira administrator to update the eazyBI app to use the built-in Issue cycles that would work much faster without any need for complicated calculations.

​Best regards,
​Nauris

1 Like

Thanks, @nauris.malitis . I shared this post with the Jira admin. Let’s hope they can do something :slight_smile: