Not allowed using as dimensions some string custom fields

Hello,

I have a problem: In my Jira project we have created 6 custom fields. Two of them are string type (SWF GADGET REQUEST and SWF CLARITY PROJECT) and the other 4 (the rest) are value selection lists.

When I want to use them as dimensions to filter in the eazyBI reports, only the 4 of list type appear. The two of string type don’t even let me import them as dimensions so I can’t use them for filtering.

Is there any way to be able to filter also by the two of type string?

On the other hand I have seen that the default field Label (string type) does appear as a dimension to filter.

Thanks very much in advantage!!

Hello JPerez,
I have found that custom fields created as multi-select cannot be used as dimensions. Are any of these fields multi-select? If so, change to single select if you can.

Hello @Chuckcox12
That it’s not true. In the picture the field SWF PROVEEDOR is multi-select and can be used as dimension.

I need to filter by a string type custom field.

I have never successfully used a multi-select field as a dimension in a report. Is it possible your issues dont have 2 selections of that field? That always gives me an error. I have many string type custom fields that I use as dimensions in reports. Here is what one of my custom definitions looks like
##milestone###
[jira.customfield_10036]
data_type = “string”
dimension = true
separate_table = true
changes = true

Make sure your advanced settings has the dimension = true .

eazyBI tries to detect import options for custom fields based on the custom field data type. We import select list (single select) and select list (multiple select), labels, and several more as dimensions by default.

Text single line and Text multi-line values can be imported as properties only. We might not detect the data type of some add-ons and offer to import some as properties only as well.

If eazyBI can’t detect a field type properly or you would like to change the import options for the field, you would like to use eazyBI advanced settings for custom fields.

This definition example should enable custom field import as a dimension. It should be of data type string, integer, or decimal and import option dimension = true explicitly specified for them:

[jira.customfield_NNNNN]
data_type = “string”
dimension = true

Please use a custom field ID instead of NNNNN in the definition above. Please make sure the data length for the field does not exceed 255char. If the text field has values longer than this, we suggest using some custom JavaScript code to truncate data.

The definition above might change the data type of the field. Data type and import option changes for the custom field might need data structure changes in eazyBI. You would like to run two full imports to get this working:

1. Please deselect the custom field from import options (any selection), save import options, and run an import. This import should delete any data structures for this custom field.
  2. Please select the custom field back for import. Save import options and run an import. This import should create new data structures for your custom field.

Daina / support@eazybi.com

Hello Daina,

Thank you very much for your reply. I think I’m closer to solve it but I still need help.

I don’t know if I’m doing something wrong.

I followed your steps and filled in the advanced settings (although I don’t know if you wanted me to create two new measures or modify the ones already created: SWF PROJECT CLARITY and SWF PETICION GADGET).

After creating them and making the pertinent imports I see in eazyBI that now appear two new measures that can be imported as dimensions.

That is partly what I wanted to achieve but now if I look for these measures in JIRA I only see the “old” SWF PROJECT CLARITY and SWF PETICION GADGET . Could I make these new fields appear in JIRA?

Or … ¿Would there be a way (some command) to indicate in advanced settings to modify the old SWF PROJECT CLARITY and SWF PETICION GADGET to be able to use them as dimensions?

Or is it only possible to create two new custom fields SWF PROJECT CLARITY and SWF PETICION GADGET and specify that they are strings and can be used as dimensions. If this is the only way, would you know how to make them appear in JIRA?

I know how to create fields in JIRA and synchronize them with eazyBY but not the other way around.

Thank you very much in advance

Hello @daina.tupule

Any news on my problem?

Thank you in advance

eazyBI recognizes Jira custom fields by the field ID (5 digits). The simplest way to see the field ID is in import options. You can mouse over the field name and the custom field ID will show.

Then use it in the definition. Here is an example for my custom field Approvers:

[jira.customfield_10006]
data_type = “string”
dimension = true

Daina / suppot@eazybi.com

Hello @daina.tupule,

Thank you very much for your help. It already filters by those two fields.

Best regards

For below Jira custom field definition, can dimension=true apply to it so that I can import it as dimension?

“customfield_123”: {
“required”: false,
“schema”: {
“type”: “number”,
“custom”: “com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.customfieldtypes:float”,
“customId”: 123
},
“name”: “CustomField”,
“fieldId”: “customfield_123”,
“operations”: [
“set”
]
},

eazyBI allows importing number and string fields as dimensions.

You can add the dimension = true option for this field to eazyBI advanced settings. Here is a similar community post where dimension = true option was used for Story Points. The post includes an additional option to import the field as an interval dimension. However, it is optional.

Daina / support@eazybi.com

1 Like

Thank you so much for your prompt response!!! :slight_smile:

Many apologies for direct quote you again. Can you help by looking at this topic to see if this could be solved by importing the custom field (Time consumed) as dimension?