Planned and Completed Measure

Hi Folks,

I’m looking to create a measure that will display the story points completed, from the original story points committed to i.e. essentially ignore any stories which were completed, but which were added after the sprint started.

I was trying to create a User defined measure, based on the Sprint Story Points committed, and trying to work in a transition status of Done (as you can see below) - obviously without success.

( [Measures].[Story Points added],
  [Transition Field].[Sprint status],
  [Sprint Status].[Active],
  -- An issue was in a sprint at a sprint start time
  [Issue Sprint Status Change].[Future => Active],
  [Time].CurrentHierarchy.Levels('Day').DateMember(
    [Sprint].CurrentMember.get('Start date')
  ),
  [Transition Status.Category].[Done]
)

The above results in an empty dataset. I need to ensure that it’s only those items which have been committed to, and which have been completed, are returned. Any help would be greatly received.

Hi @ruaghain,

eazyBI provides several Sprint scope related measures out of the box: commitment, changes, and what is delivered at the end of a Sprint (https://docs.eazybi.com/eazybijira/data-import/data-from-jira-and-apps/jira-software-custom-fields)

You may use those measures for defining the new calculated measure to get story points that were committed to a sprint AND also completed in a sprint might look like this:

Sum(
  -- filter all issues which were committed and completed
  Filter(
    Descendants([Issue].CurrentHierarchyMember, [Issue].[Issue]),
    [Measures].[Sprint Story Points committed] > 0 AND
    [Measures].[Sprint Story Points completed] > 0 
  ),
  -- sum up completed SP
  [Measures].[Sprint Story Points completed]
)

The calculation goes through issues and validates each, whether it was committed and completed for a selected sprint.

Our partner, “demicon GmbH”, demonstrated an excellent use case on Sprint scope analysis Better SAFe than Sorry - Enterprise Ready Reporting at Scale in Jira that might interest you. The video of this and other talks from eazyBI Community Days 2019 are here: Presentation slides from eazyBI Community Day 2019 in Riga

A similar use case to count story points that were committed and not completed in a sprint is described in another eazyBI Community post: Missed Commitment Report in EazyBI

Best,
Zane / support@eazyBI.com

Hi Zane,

Thanks so much for getting back to me. I wasn’t in the office last week, however I’ll give this a go on Monday and let you know.

Kind Regards,
Ruaghain.