Vertical Line in timeline chart

Hi
in eazyBI it is possible to draw a vertical line (perhaps to visualize “today”).

In order to do that, create one more calculated member in “Measures” dimension “today” that will be used as a vertical line in a chart.

That measure will compare each member from Time dimension to today’s date and display “today” only where it will match.

To create such calculated measure (it must have “integer” formatting) try this code:

IIF(
DateInPeriod(Now(), 
[Time].CurrentHierarchyMember)
, 'today', null
)

When selected, this measure could be displayed as a ‘vertical line’ after a type of the marker for this measure through legend (in a chart mode) is changed.

But be aware that it is possible only to Timeline chart in eazyBI

Martins / eazyBI support

7 Likes

Hi @martins.vanags, this is a really interesting calculation but I can’t seem to get it to work when I try it. It looks like I’m doing exactly what you did in this post but I can’t get the vertical line. Do you have any troubleshooting/fixes that I can try?

1 Like

Hi @breannmcjew

It seems you missed a small part - to change the type for a measure in the chart.
Please see attached gif.

Martins / eazyBI support

3 Likes

You’re right! Thanks so much @martins.vanags.

Hi @martins.vanags ,

Is there a chance you could show how the code could be changed for a specific date within the timeline.

Cheers

Gav

Here you go.
This code would return “any text” for May 1, 2020

IIF(
DateInPeriod('May 1 2020', 
[Time].CurrentHierarchyMember)
, 'any text', null
)

Martins / eazyBI support

1 Like

That is great, thanks for the speedy response.

Cheers

Gav

Hi Martins,
This is very helpful and almost gives me what I need.
How would I go about adding a vertical “milestone” in a time series report that shows, for instance, the status changes of issues over time (e.g., an example for eazyBI demo: https://jira-beta.audible.com/plugins/servlet/eazybi/accounts/2/cubes/Issues/reports/4-created-issues-over-time-by-current-status)?
When I add the milestone date as you explained I get a separate line for each of the statuses doubling the size of the legend and pre-pending the name of the milestone with the name of the status (see image). I had to change each of them to Vertical Lines. Ideally there would be a single line (and none would appear in the legend, if possible - is that possible?).

Thank you!!
-jj

Hi,

Try using “Hide empty” button from the toolbars to hide empty measures from your report.

Martins / eazyBI support

Unfortunately, that didn’t work. Here’s two snapshots of the data table. One is with all statuses expanded, the other with the statuses collapsed so you can see the two “milestone” dates. Most of the table rows/columns are empty under the “milestones” but not completely, so hiding the emptys has no impact.

Statuses expanded:

Statuses collapsed:

Maybe this is just not possible?

Thanks for your help.
-jj

Hi,

In this case, you would need to create new calculated measures using Case When and define under which of statuses the measure should / should not be displayed.

CASE WHEN
[Status].CurrenthierarchyMember.name = “Discovery”
THEN
[Measures].[Planning Kick-off]
END

This would display Planning kick-off value only for “Discovery” status column when Statuses are expanded. In a similar way, you could create a measure also one for Rank In-Scope Features measure.

Martins / eazyBI team

1 Like

Thank you!
At first I couldn’t get it to work. [Status].CurrentHierarchyMember.name was resolving to “All Statuses” instead of the name of the status. I realized I had to use [Transition Status] instead of [Status] and it works perfectly! Now if we can get that feature added to remove/edit the legend I’d be all set!!

Thanks so much for your help and your quick responses!
Regards,
-jj

Hello @martins.vanags,

Thanks for the tip, I am using the code you mentioned in post#1 to draw a verical line for Today’s date.

I had a similar question. In my Jira project, there are a few milestones already defined under “fixVersion” by the project admin. It is a large project (say 100+ folks using it) and if the milestone dates move around, the date changes are handled by the project admin and it benefits everyone.

In my timeline chart, I wanted to plot some of the milestones as vertical lines similar to plotting the Today. Can you please suggest how I can do that?

Thank you!

@nec2152

Please explore this sample report on our demo account.
https://docs.eazybi.com/plugins/servlet/eazybi/accounts/6/cubes/Confluence/reports/52-created-and-updated-pages-by-author

It has multiple vertical lines
You could use the same technique to draw fix version milestone dates.
Just make sure that the calculated measure returns values automatically based on imported data.

Martins / eazyBI

Thanks @martins.vanags , that sounds like exactly what I need.

When I go to that report on the demo account and switch to the table view, Confluence - Confluence public demo - eazyBI

I am not able to see the dimensions or columns on the demo account, the way I see dimensions and measures in our organization’s internal eazyBI project.

I wanted to understand what type of measure is the “eazyBI releases” column in that report.

Can you please help?

Thanks!

The sample report in table form that I see on the demo account is below:

@nec2152
Try these two reports now:

https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/50020-versions-on-timeline
https://eazybi.com/accounts/1000/cubes/Issues/reports/246034-version-releases

and you can switch off “Maximize” button for the confluence report to see dimensions and formulas:

1 Like

Hello @martins.vanags
Thank you for both the tips, I finally got the version release dates showing up as veritcal lines in my charts now!

Thank you so much !!

1 Like

Hello,
Thanks for the hint about displaying only once the version vertical line in the legend @martins.vanags and @jrjanis!
I tried to use the same trick inside a report showing open issues and sorted by label, but unfortunately I did not succeed. This is the formula that I tried:
CASE WHEN
[Label].CurrenthierarchyMember.name = “Label_1”
THEN
[Measures].[Release date]
END

Do you know if what I want to do is feasible? If so, can you fix my formula?

Thanks
Best Regards

Hi,
Is there a way to show the verical line behind the bar not on top of it?
Regards
Rainer

Hello,
if you reorder the measures you are using, the line / bar will change how it is displayed. I have had to do this when using bars and Area types.

1 Like