Looking to get all issues by initiative

Hello - I am trying to get a drill down view of all issues by initiative. I see in the Issue -> Select Member that there is an option for “Issues by Epic”. This works great, but it only goes Epic to Story to Sub-Task. Is there a way to see the code for this so that I can create a calculated value that starts at the initiative or even Theme level?

I am looking to build a bar chart for each initiative that shows issues in progress, done, grooming, etc. I can only do this from the Epic down at this point, but need to see all epics under their linked initiatives. I can not figure out how to do this.

Thanks for the help!

Hello

eazyBI has an option to build new hierarchies in Issue dimension. You can build new Issue hierarchy over basic levels Parent>Sub-task or Epic>Parent>Sub-task. You would like to pick one and then build some more levels above.

eazyBI requires a separate custom field with Issue key for any level above default levels. In your case, you should create new custom fields for Theme and Initiative. You could create those custom fields with Issue link import.

For hierarchy: Theme>Initiative>Epic>Parent>Sub-task, you should define new link custom fields for Initiative and Theme. You could use any JIRA custom field for them, if you do have one. For example, JIRA Portfolio has a Parent link, you can use for one additional level.

Here are several tips how to define link custom fields for issue hierarchy with eazyBI option Issue link import:

• each issue should have only one issue key on any level above (no multiple values)
  • import any level issue key for issues one level below
  • Issues could be linked with either Inward or Outward links. Please check issue link direction in JIRA Administration section Issue linking. Use correct directions and namings.
  • Issue type in link configuration filters linked issues by Issue type

For our example,
You should import one issue key of Initiative for Epic issues
You should import one issue key of Theme for Initiative issues

Please use correct code and sequence for update_from_issue_key parameter for each link custom fields used in hierarchy. This parameter is the key for building hierarchy. For each level update_from_issue_key should address custom field or default field of the next (below) level.

Let’s define new link custom fields and hierarchy for our example:
Any Initiative issue has a link to one Theme issue with outward issue link “has Theme”. You should see this link in any Initiative issue. This definition describes linked Theme issue:

[jira.customfield_theme]
name = "Theme"
outward_link = "has Theme"
issue_type = "Theme"
update_from_issue_key = "customfield_initiative"

Any Epic issue has a link to one Initiative issue with outward issue link “has Initiative”. You should see this link in any Epic issue. This definition describes linked Initiative issue:

[jira.customfield_initiative]
name = "Initiative"
outward_link = "has Initiative"
issue_type = "Initiative"
update_from_issue_key = "epic_key"

Please use your issue link names and directions in definitions above.

You do not need to define default levels as custom fields. You can address new levels and default levels in Issue hierarchy:

[[jira.issue_hierarchies]]
name = "Theme"
all_member_name = "All Issues by themes"
levels = [
  {name="Theme",key_column="customfield_theme",issue_type="Theme"},
  {name="Initiative",key_column="customfield_initiative",issue_type="Initiative"},
  {name="Epic",key_column="epic_key"},
  {name="Parent",key_column="epic_parent_key"},
  {name="Sub-task",key_column="subtask_key"}
]

I tried following the instructions by diana.tupule.

• Created 2 issue types - Theme and Initiative - in jira
  • Created the hierarchy Theme>Initiative>Epic>Parent>Sub-task - in jira
  • Created issue links for Themes and Initiatives in jira
  • Added the definitions mentioned in the post to the Advanced Settings in eazybi
  • I see new dimensions show on the custom fields now on eazybi
  • Added some issue links to Theme, Initiatives… - jira
  • Clicked on the Import to make sure all the links are imported in eazybi
  • Went to “Analyze” to create new report - in eazybi
  • Selected “Issues” to the Rows - in eazybi
  • Selected Issue links, Theme and Initiatives. Issues are not show in the hierarchy in eazybi :frowning:.

One thing unclear, what should be the value for “update_from_issue_key” for Theme and Initiative in the definition?